What is CARMAC?
CARMAC is a coalition of buyers, sellers, consignees and collectors of pre-owned property.
Why Does CARMAC Exist?
Our mission in California is to represent the interests of buyers, sellers, consignees and collectors of previously-owned property to minimize the costs of engaging in commerce and limiting unnecessary governmental intrusion into these transactions.
CARMAC's short-run objective is to again defeat special-interest legislation sponsored by the pawnbrokers' association which would force our members to underwrite and subsidize the creation of a statewide electronic reporting system for tracking secondhand goods transactions.
In the long-run, CARMAC will sponsor and support legislation to reform the antiquated Secondhand Dealers Law and bring it into the 21st Century. It no longer makes sense to maintain a mid-20th Century law, however well intended and necessary. Our goal will be to update the Secondhand Dealer's Law to reflect today's marketplace without compromising the need to help law enforcement track and recover stolen goods in an effective way.
CARMAC will do everything possible to lift the cloud of uncertainty overhanging so many honest, hard-working men and women doing business in California. Some of you may be violating current law while many more would become criminals if the pawnbrokers get their way.
CARMAC urges all buyers, sellers, consignees, auctioneers and collectors to join this association and help fight this expensive intrusion into your business affairs. Join today, and get your friends and colleagues to join, too.
How Will The Pawnbrokers' Legislation Affect Me?By requiring you to:
- Perform a FBI criminal background check, collect fingerprints to verify identification from people with whom you acquire property.
- Pay a variety of annual fees to obtain a Secondhand Dealers license.
- Maintain personal and private records, which would subject you to current privacy laws regarding storage and use of such information.
- Hold property for a minimum of 30 days or longer before reselling it.
- Report all acquisitions within 24 hours to law enforcement.
- Invest in computer systems, special reporting software and related equipment.
- Exempts private party garage sales, junk yards and swap meets it is a specific attack on professional collectors and dealers.
- Criminalizes your business if you fail to comply with the law.